Thursday, October 1, 2009

Passion

This one is easy!

I will never forget my high school biology teacher and her passion and drive for her subject.

I will admit that at the beginning of the year I was not at all looking forward to taking a biology class. In fact, I was dreading it as something that would be terribly boring and dull and have ridiculous assignments. I had picked up this bias from middle school where I had a terrible teacher for "Life Sciences" (i.e. Biology).

Well the school year began as any other did, with the first day of biology spent going over the rules and expectations, and let me tell you this lady was strict and demanding. I began to fear the worst. Fortunately, during the following weeks I noticed two things: 1. My biology teacher was as strict and as demanding as I had feared, and 2. She so passionate and excited about biology (especially in her lecturing) that I began getting excited about biology too. In fact, I began to look forward to the class.

Anyway, over the course of the year, I had a fantastic experience in Biology, I was actually interested in the labs and the research projects, and I consistently participated in lectures and review games. Needless to say, I have to accredit my own excitement and learning in high school biology to my teacher. Had she been a boring lecturer and taken little care in trying to make the class interesting, I imagine that I would have been very turned off by the course and probably would not have learned, or at least retained, much biological information. Instead the opposite occurred, and I felt I learned not only about biology, but I learned to appreciate the science itself. To this, I, once again, have one very strict, demanding, and passionate high school biology teacher to thank.

No comments:

Post a Comment