Friday, December 4, 2009

Can dispositions be taught?

In reality, I do not know. I have not studied enough formal psychology and sociology to really know or provide an educated opinion that will answer this question. However, I can quote one of my biggest role models who tells me all the time the following, "I can teach any man to fix a machine, what I can't teach him is personality." I agree, one cannot teach personality. People have an innate personality. Now, I do believe, as my role model does, that personality is not solely innate, but can be and is affected by the environment. This lends itself to the nature vs. nurture idea. Moreover, dispositions are more like attitudes and one could easily argue that opinions and attitudes can be affected and changed. Therefore, based on this brief analysis drawn from both opinion, experience, and research I would to offer the following conclusion: when it comes to theories and philosophies concerning dispositions, attitudes, values, morals, and beliefs, I believe someone can teach TO anything, but one cannot FORCE anyone to believe or accept the teachings. That acceptance and belief is up to the learner. This assessment is neither bad or good, it is neither for better or for worse, it is a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment